Dog friendly cottage Welyarde is located in Tideswell – a traditional village in the heart of the Peak District National Park.
Tideswell has a thriving range of local shops including:
- Our Co-Op store is a little gem, opening 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm. The only day it closes is on Xmas day! It stocks most foodie items you’ll need during your stay so don’t feel you need to bring the entire contents of your kitchen cupboards with you for your break at Welyarde!
- A fantastic bakery, open Monday to Friday, and mornings on Saturday.
- We have three excellent cafes in the village, High Nelly’s, Peak District Parlour and H&D Exotic Teas.
- The Cherry Tree is a Deli serving scrummy cakes, salads, sandwiches and drinks. Tends not to be open on weekends.
- Peaches the greengrocers which is open 6 days per week. * Sadly our local butcher has closed due to a fire but Vicki has installed a fridge in the veg shop and is stocking meaty delights from one of our local farm shops.
- Peak District Yarns Studio, run by Carrie, sells hand-dyed yarns and lovely gifty things, plus knitting and crochet accessories. She also runs crafty workshops. Open to the public on Saturdays.
- A chemist
- Second Hand and Collectors Book Shop – situated in the old Natwest bank across the road from High Nelly’s & Peak District Parlour.
- A cracking traditional Fish & Chip shop.
- A NatWest cash machine.
We are happy to shop for you before you arrive in Tideswell. You can also arrange a grocery delivery from local Tideswell shops via Phil at “Shop in Tideswell” – supporting our village shops rather than lining Tesco or Asda’s pockets!
Every year we celebrate Wakes Week, which features a traditional Well Dressing. This is a curious Derbyshire tradition which is seen in many villages during spring and early summer. The Tideswell Wakes Week is usually the last week in June and comprises three well dressings and various events and processions through the week. You can come and watch the well dressings in the making the week before in the outbuilding of Hardy House on Hardy Lane in Tideswell. Wakes Week in 2018 is from 23rd thru 30th June.
Our parish church, St John’s, is often called the Cathedral of the Peak because of it’s size. It’s well worth a visit to see the amazing architecture and wood carvings. You can also book a Tower Tour where you will get the best view of the area from the top – not good for those with heights! More info can be found here.
Tideswell has a wide range of facilities to make your stay easy and enjoyable. But if you wish to venture further afield, there are plenty of activities to fill your days. See here for some suggestions.
You can keep up with local village news through our monthly Tideswell Village Voice newspaper. Available on-line here.